On Monday 20th January 2020, ROTA held its Annual General Meeting for the financial year 2018/19 at Resource for London, 356 Holloway Road, London N7 6PA.
Following our AGM, a special conference on "Tackling Informal Exclusions" saw over 70 people in attendance.
Conference key note speakers included:
- Dan Rosenberg, Simpson Millar Solicitors - Dan is a Public Law Solicitor, working across a wide range of areas in Education Law, with extensive experience challenging informal exclusions carried out by schools.
- Whitney Crenna Jennings, Education Policy Institute
- Alex Temple - Just for Kids Law
Round-table discussions were held to share experiences and develop ways to change and challenge the practice.
Did you know that:
- Unlike permanent or fixed-terms exclusions, informal exclusions can be carried out illegally and without a right of appeal?
- That informal exclusions can take many forms, which do not have to be officially recorded?
- That children with SEND and / or BAME backgrounds are more likely to experience informal exclusion?
The conference explored ways we can work together - with schools, parents and young people - to raise awareness of Informal Exclusions and to influence policy-makers to stop this practice.
Download the conference slides from our guest speakers:
- Dan Rosenberg, Simpson Millar Solicitors - Informal Exclusions and off-rolling
- Whitney Crenna Jennings, Education Policy Institute - Unexplained exits from schools:what do we know?
- Alex Temple, Just for Kids Law - Expanding access to advice and representation for families facing exclusion